A brush fire erupted along the 405 Freeway early Monday in the Sepulveda Pass, spreading quickly into neighborhoods and burning homes.
The Getty fire, which broke out near the Getty Center along the 405 Freeway, has burned more than 500 acres.
The mandatory evacuation zone was described by fire officials as a box: Mulholland Drive on the north side, the 405 on the east, Sunset Boulevard on the south and Temescal Canyon Road on the west.
Within the evacuation zones are Mount St. Mary’s University, Mountaingate and Mandeville Canyon.
An evacuation warning zone was set for west of Temescal Canyon Road, south of Mulholland Drive, north of Sunset Boulevard and east of Topanga Canyon. “People in the area … are advised to prepare to evacuate due to a rapidly moving brush fire,” the Fire Department said in a statement posted on Nixle.
The southbound offramps at Skirball Center Drive, Sepulveda Boulevard, Sunset Boulevard, Getty Center Drive and Mulholland Drive on the 405 Freeway are closed. The southbound portion of the freeway from the 101 to Sunset Boulevard is expected to be closed later in the morning, according to the California Highway Patrol.
Portions of Sepulveda Boulevard were also shut down.
• Westwood Recreation Center (1350 S. Sepulveda Blvd.)
• Van Nuys/Sherman Oaks Recreation Center (14201 Huston St.)
• Stoner Recreation Center (1835 Stoner Ave.)
• Palisades Recreation Center (851 Alma Real Drive)
• Cheviot Hills Recreation Center (2551 Motor Ave.)
• West Valley Animal Shelter (20655 Plummer St.)
• West L.A. Animal Shelter (11361 W. Pico Blvd.)
• Hanson Dam Recreation Area (large animals)
School and university closures:
All Santa Monica and Malibu schools are closed. Crossroads School for Arts & Sciences in Santa Monica, a private school, also is closed.
These Los Angeles Unified School District campuses are closed:
- University High School Charter
- Emerson Middle School
- Revere Middle School
- Brentwood Elementary
- Brockton Elementary
- Canyon Elementary
- Community Magnet
- Fairburn Elementary
- Kentner Elementary
- Marquez Elementary
- Palisades Elementary
- Roscomare Elementary
- Nora Sterry Elementary
- Topanga Elementary
- Warner Elementary
- Westwood Elementary
These charter schools are closed:
- Palisades Charter High School
- Gateway and Ivy Park campuses of Citizens of the World Charter School
- Magnolia Science Academy No. 4
- Magnolia Science Academy No. 6
The following university campuses closed:
- Santa Monica College cited air quality issues related to the Getty fire in its decision to close the campus Monday. “SMC will continue to monitor conditions and provide updates to college employees, students, and stakeholders as we learn more via college email, the official Twitter account @SMC_edu, and the college website: smc.edu,” the school said.
- UCLA announced at 9:30 a.m. it was canceling classes. The university said the Getty fire doesn’t pose an immediate threat to the campus, but noted members of the campus community live in evacuation areas or may be affected by road closures.
In Southern California, a Santa Ana wind event began Sunday night and was expected to last through Monday with isolated gusts of up to 60 mph in the Los Angeles County mountains and humidity levels as low as 5%, causing officials to issue red-flag warnings.